Friday, October 18, 2013

La Foire d'Octobre de Liège et Bruxelles

Each year the Hepurnsville Fire Hall hosts a small fair with small amusement rides and those very unhealthy foods that everyone can't help but love! As a child I remember how excitedly I would look forward to that week long event and the day I would get to go, it was so much fun!

La Foire d'Octobre was like that, but on a much bigger scale, and not just for a week, but for an entire month! A few streets were filled with attractions ranging from the small kids rides to the heart thumping ones, and with many, many food vendors!

It was so much fun!

 
 
(Mirror maze, totally confusing and totally fun!)
 

I went two times, first with Kaela (Hawaii) and Molly (New Jersey) and the second with Kaela (again), Alexandra (Equador) and Veronique (Belgium). Both times were so much fun, the rides were awesome, and the food was of course amazing; I tried some new things in both realms!

Everyone said when I went to the fair I had to try lacquemant! It was a must, everyone raved about how amazing it tasted. Another must that many people mentioned as a fair favorite was croustillons. So of course, I had to try these two Belgium fair treats. Laquement is a sort of very thin waffle with a layer of a jam like filling between then smothered in syrup, and croustillons are dough balls deep fried and coated with powered sugar. Both were quite good, but neither could stand up against the amazing taste of a chocolate covered waffle!

(winner!)
 
 
On Sunday October 13th I had the amazing opportunity to travel to Brussels and meet up with Tirzah, a friend of mine from the United States! She was traveling with her sister and since they would be in the area (England) they decided to stop by Belgium as well to visit me! I had a wonderful time with the two, it was so nice to see a familiar face, and despite the rain and cold we managed to have a great time!

With those two I explored the city of Brussels a bit more, and got to see two famous Belgium sites; the Atomium and Manneken Pis!
 (Manneken Pis...Don't ask, I don't know...)
 
 
Now, the first time I was in Brussels I managed to get lost... I was set on not doing so this time! However, during my return I wound up not in my home village of Remicourt, but in Tienen, which just so happens to be one of the Flemish villages of Belgium.

I do not speak Dutch. Not one word.


I never missed French so much! Now, I barely speak French, and there's so much I don't understand still, but I do understand much more French then I do Dutch! Thankfully the station attendant spoke English quite well and with his help I was back on my way to the French section. (More on the division between the French and Dutch section of Belgium later, I promise!)

Can't stay away from trouble I guess!

Now lets talk weather! The best way to describe the weather here in Belgium is that it has mood swings. Terrible mood swings. One day it's cold like winter temperatures, the next it's like spring. In the morning it's beautiful and sunny, then a couple hours later it's raining. I'm not even exaggerating, I have no idea how to dress from one day to the next! I take my umbrella everywhere! You never know what's going to happen next!
 

Well, for now that's all I have to report! There are a few things coming up in the next couple of days, so there will definitely be more to write about!


1 comment:

  1. Chocolate covered waffle?! Yes please! Sounds like a great time!

    ReplyDelete