Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Wallonia and Flanders

I was super excited to be able to meet up with Katie, another exchange student from my own home rotary district in Pennsylvania! The two of us were headed for Belgium but would have two very different exchange experiences, I would be living in the French side of Belgium, and she in the Dutch side.
 
We had mentioned how it would be neat to meet up, so during fall vacation we did just that! I travelled to the Dutch city of Hasselt where she was living.

Belgium is divided into two different language groups; the southern French speaking side called Wallonia, and the northern Dutch speaking side called Flanders. There is also a very small German speaking minority, but I won't get into that.

It is a strange idea for me, for two very distinct languages to be spoken so widely in the same country. Coming from the United States I was so greatly accustomed to English being spoken, and that is all. I could travels hours and not find a single person who spoke a different language. Here in just one hour I was in Hasselt where they spoke a language I know not one word of!

The division between Wallonia and Flanders goes deeper than just the language barrier, it is quite political and I barely understand half of it. Belgium is primarily kept together by Brussels, the capital that speaks both Dutch and French. There are separate governments for Wallonia, Flanders, the German minority and Brussels. All governments operate independently and yet function together as a whole.

All very complicated.

For a Rotary event the exchange students were taken to Namur, the capital city of Wallonia and were taken inside of the Parliament building. There the question was raised about the division within the country and if the leaders ever saw a time that the country would simply split instead of remain as one whole. They were not extremely positive about the country remaining whole.

 

Katie and I talked a bit about the two different sides, and it was interesting to compare what we had learned from the natives we came in contact with.

On the French side the youth are much more interested in learning English than Dutch which they do not consider a very pretty language. The Dutch students are much the same way, they would rather learn English and many speak it nearly fluently. There is not a sense of necessity to learn the other language.

Katie also told me about some not as favorable views the Dutch side had to their counterpart. From what I have seen from my region and my classmates, there just is not a great interest in Flanders.

(flower market in Hasselt)
 
However, there are many things that still mark the Belgium people as the same, despite if they live in Flanders or Wallonia. Their pride of the Belgium singer Stromae is still strong on both sides, despite the fact he only sings in French. They also take great pride in the Belgium comic Tin Tin, Katie and I were both asked multiple times if we new the character. The country is still greatly connected and the two sides are quite dependent on each other in functioning as a country as a whole.

The country is indeed interesting, though it is quite small there is so much culture within its borders. Now I know this might not be the most exciting post, but I found all this confusing political stuff interesting, and definitely unique! 



No comments:

Post a Comment