Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Multitude of Little Things

My life has been busy. There has been nothing major going on, just a great many little things that take away bits and pieces of my days. When asked how I am, I reply, "Fine, but tired" (in French of course!) And everyone just nods knowingly.

Exchange students are always tired. That's what I've learned.

Since my last blog on the 11th I have continued going to school and continued to be confused. Unfortunately I was put out of commission for a little by a sickness that has been going around the students and had to miss a Monday. School here still intrigues me, it is so different than what I am used to. The schedules change somewhat frequently, and for right now my Monday schedule works out that I only have four hours of school. This extra time has so far been used to explore more of Waremme under the guidance of fellow students. It's been interesting, and I love these flexible schedules!


On September 20-21st was College Saint Louis' Fancy Fair. The easiest way to explain the event is that it's an event hosted by the school to raise money. There was a DJ, dancing and alcohol. Yes, beer, provided by the school. The students could buy drink tickets, as many as they wanted. It was a strange concept to me, I knew that the drinking age in Belgium was 16, but the thought of the school providing the alcohol, of the police that came to oversee the event standing and watching what I considered to be minors consume as much beer as they wanted, was such a strange sight. Needless to say, the party was interesting.

I also went to Blegny-Mine with the Rotary one Wednesday after school. Blegny-Mine is an old coal mine, now closed. There used to be many coal mines in Belgium, though like Blegny-Mine they have now been shut down. We were taken on a tour of the mine, herded onto the elevator the miners would use, a glorified lift, and brought down to one of the coal tunnels. It was damp and dark, and not at all a pleasant work environment. We had a wonderful guide who spoke to us in a mixture of French and English and made everything very understandable as he described the work environment and how everything operated. After we were taken down below we were transported high up to see the area where the coal was separated from the shale. Seeing the impact coal had on Belgium made me think about the impact coal had on my home state of Pennsylvania, the two places are more similar than I would have first believed.
 

French learning is still difficult, but slowly (slowly) progressing. Thankfully starting October 7th the school is arranging French lessons for the exchange students, which will be an enormous help! Fall is coming upon Belgium, the temperatures are decreasing and a few leaves are beginning to fall. I have now been in Belgium for over a month, and it is still strange to me. Time has been flying it seems, and I can't help but look at a calendar and be amazed.

Now, on to my next adventure!

2 comments:

  1. Although it has been a little over a month that you have been gone it seems like several to those of us left behind. We miss you and are so glad that you are having such wonderful experiences!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am reading these blogs "backwards" (catching up from the last few weeks) and I must applaud your bravery in touring all of these underground places! Coal mines and WW2 forts?! I would freak out! :) Good for you!

    ReplyDelete