Friday, October 4, 2013

Just Checking in!

It is officially October, and that is so unbelievable! Fall is creeping into Belgium, the seasons are changing and more adventures are approaching. My days keep getting filled up with random odds and ends, I am constantly kept busy and that is a wonderful thing!

Last Saturday, the 28th, I went to an event planned for the exchange students by old exchange students who had returned to their home country of Belgium. We went kayaking down the river Lesse, and it was absolutely beautiful. The day was warm and the sun was shining, a perfect day for kayaking. The Lesse is located in the hillier section of Belgium, and there were some amazing cliff structures that seriously took my breath away. On one of the cliffs a castle had been built precariously close to the edge. I wish I could have brought a camera to capture these amazing views, but water and electronics do not go together quite that well.
 

That next Wednesday was yet another Rotary event to Eben-Emael, an old World War 2 fort. The fort is built primarily underground with many winding passages. It was creepy being under the ground, it was chilly, it was bland with only bare brick surfaces, and long dark shadows hid where the long tunnels led off to. During the World War Germans had assaulted the fort which took some damage from the bombs they dropped.


 

 

As the fall season approaches I am getting increasingly eager to share some of my fall customs with my Belgian family and friends and learn about theirs. I have a few fall recipies I would like to share with my host mother, Muriel, who enjoys cooking. First, I get to show her how to roast pumpkin seeds! My first host family is quite thrifty, and they grow a lot of their own produce, including pumpkins. They use the flesh to make soup, so I was surprised when I said my family took the seeds and roasted them that they had never done this. Such little things may seem insignificant, but I'm excited to share this little delicacy with them! I hope it turns out well!

Until next time!

P.s. The picture on the side was taken on the way to Eben-Emael, I was carpooling with Kaela (Hawaii) and Luis (Venezuala)


No comments:

Post a Comment